Re: [orion-dev] Orion and JSDT

Hey Paul,

Great that you're up and running and look forward to talking at Eclipsecon.

For the relationship between Orion and JSDT there is early talking on plans to converge on common language tooling pieces but I suspect that's further out. For now Orion is pretty much focused on setting up the right shape of things and more interested in integrating existing functionality (3rd party or what have you) instead of building our own. Short-term it's possible Orion might use parts of JSDT server-side but we've only done very simple experiments there.

Using GWT or another translator might be a possibility for some of the parsers in JSDT but we're obviously going to have to be pretty careful to make sure everything is fairly small and reasonable to run in a browser. At a more general level I'd be interested in anyone's efforts at integration with GWT.

We're of course still investing in both as we're in it for the long haul. For now all the language tooling work is being done in JSDT. The work I'm aware of first-hand is improvements to our base grammar and debugger as I think these will also be useful to Orion in the medium-term. Over time I suspect there will be more convergence and work done will be of benefit to both the desktop and Orion.

-Simon

Inactive hide details for Paul Beusterien ---01/18/2011 04:36:04 PM---Hi all, I've gotten Orion up and running thanks toPaul Beusterien ---01/18/2011 04:36:04 PM---Hi all, I've gotten Orion up and running thanks to

Paul Beusterien <paul.beusterien@xxxxxxxxx>

orion-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/18/2011 04:36 PM

[orion-dev] Orion and JSDT

Sent by:

orion-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

I've gotten Orion up and running thanks to http://wiki.eclipse.org/Orion/Getting_the_source#Self_hosting_setup  It's great to see the progress and potential of Orion.

I'm curious about the relationship between JSDT and Orion:
    • Are there plans to converge the two?
    • Any thoughts about using something like GWT to convert useful parts of JSDT to Orion?
    • Is IBM continuing to invest in both JSDT and Orion?
        • Or has the JSDT investment moved to Orion?
Paul

--
Paul Beusterien