Re: [orbit-dev] Orbit release for Neon.3

Hi Roland,

> This has been requested in the past and although I'm sure people might be
> using Oxygen S-builds for content they intend to consume in Neon service
> releases, these builds are only guaranteed to be retained up until the
> release of the Oxygen R-build. As a result, I wanted to give a heads up
> that I intend to create a Neon.3 R-build that will likely be based on the
> orbit-recipes bundles found in the Oxygen M5 build [1] and the old ones
> from the Neon R-build [2].
>
> If there are any concerns or objections to us providing such a build,
> feel free to post as part of this thread.

A question: What's the recommendation for the versions to pick for Neon.3?

Some common plug-ins (like com.google.gson) have been updated in the
meantime. Should projects contributing to Neon.3 switch to the Oxygen
version or stay at the version that was already in Neon? Either way,
this needs to be coordinated among projects if we want to avoid
"duplicate" bundles in the simrel repositories. And at least some
projects (I know of Mylyn at least) don't plan a dedicated Neon.3
contribution; for them Neon.2 == Neon.3, meaning that they will
contribute the older version of com.google.gson to Neon.3.

Based on the above, I would issue the following recommendation:

- Use the bundle from the Oxygen M5 build only if the BSN is not in the
Neon.0 R-build or if the version in the Neon.0 R-build doesn't yet
contain all features you require.

- Otherwise, stick to the version from the Neon.0 R-build.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Codetrails GmbH