[open-measured-data-wg] Telco Summary, 13.3.2015: Jira & Bugzilla

Hi all

Last friday we had a phone call with Ralph Müller, Eclipse Foundation.

Ralph explained that the working group and the projects are two complete different matters, which are orthogonal to each other.
Whereas the working group is totally free regarding tools used, the projects have to follow rigid guidelines and used the tools prescribed by eclipse. This is annoying, more so because some of the tools are not/no longer state of the art. That is the case with the issue tracking tool bugzilla.

Since we decided to use Jira & Jira Agile to manage requirements and projects, we came to the following conclusion:

1. We still use JIRA for the projects. To make it publicly accessible we need to ask Atlassion to host JIRA for us - they offer this for open source projects. @Alexander: can you organize this please?
2. For each sprint, there will be an issue in bugzilla. This states the sprint goals and points to the sprint at JIRA for the details information. This is an overhead but allows us to continue without too much hassle and still use a state of the art tool to do our work
3. The requirements service needs to follow bugzilla for public requirements/issues. I was asked to follow up on this and thus my proposal here:
The following workflow is proposed:
- the issue remains open until it is planned to work on it, normally integrated in a work package. As soon work has started, the bugzilla issue is closed with a pointer to the sprint issue.
- duplicated entries etc. are treated normally
- we need to investigate if it is possible that for each issue automatically an issue in JIRA is opened and linked to the bugzilla item. However, at the moment we don’t expect masses of public feature requests, most requirements come from the working group, resp. their members itself

We will start like that and inspect and adapt during work.

On the long term, given the fact that working groups and project aretwo different matters entirely is may worth exploring.

Any feedback, suggestions welcome.

Best regards
Sibylle

---