[mosquitto-dev] tcp-wrappers support

Dear all,

Mosquitto has had support for tcp-wrappers/libwrap for a long while.
It is not compiled in by default, but some packages such as the Ubuntu
ones provided by the project do include support.

If you aren't familiar, tcp-wrappers is a very old program/library
that allows you to do IP/hostname based access control in a network
service by adding entries to the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
files that apply to that service. This kind of control is now much
better deployed at the firewall level. I don't believe that anyone has
used it in any kind of meaningful way for a long time, and
particularly not for mosquitto.

I propose completely removing support for tcp-wrappers from mosquitto.
If you'd like to object, now is your chance. I'm happy to hear good
reasons why it should stay.

Regards,

Roger

Back to the top