[m2e-users] Version Schizophrenia

I have had a fair amount of problems with Maven, m2e and Nexus the last few week. Currently I am using the latest beta version of m2e for Indigo.

Part of the problem was I set up Nexus for the first time ever, and did not fully understand it, or even operating a central repository like that. Part of the problem was I was trying to use the m2e that is bundled into Eclipse Indigo, and it does not operate the same as the earlier m2e I was using in Helios. Part of the problem was months earlier I had created a configuration problem where I was trying to build my javadoc in the package phase, that was preventing the install phase to compete, that was also preventing the javadoc to succeed - but this did not actually manifest until after I started reconfiguring things for Nexus.

As I have recently sorted out most of the problems now, I still encounter one problem with m2e, in that it does not really know what it wants to do about versions. Often I get these errors or warnings about the version is the same as the parent, and the m2e quick-fix is to remove the version. Only later Maven fails because the POM is wrong because the version is missing. It can take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes of hacking away thought the m2e UI to get it stable enough to do a Maven build again. Not being and expert, I can only guess there is some mismatch between what m2e expects, and what the embedded version of Maven expects in the POM.

While I can get around these problems, I am trying to deploy maven to the rest of my team, and I cannot figure out how to document this problem or how to resolve it, because I know for sure other people are going to experience it too - as it always show up when I test my procedure to setup a development environment.

Cheers, Eric

Back to the top