Re: [m2e-dev] Fetching source and/or javadoc by default

On 08/30/2016 09:15 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
The obvious downside of eager sources/javadoc download is extra and often unnecessary download time and bandwidth usage. We had it on by default originally, iirc, but implemented download-on-demand and turned it off based on user feedback.
Ok. It can make sense to prevent these downloads from happening during project resolution.
But what about running a job after resolution that will in the background fetch the sources and associate them? The download time would not be perceived, and only drawback would be bandwidth usage. I'll open an enhancement request for that.
As a m2e user, I'd actually rather spend more time downloading extra artifact to get better javadoc than having quickly a project without javadoc nor good completion.

I may be ineterested  to contribute advanced sourcelookup to Eclipse, but this needs to to integrated in jdt.debug and I do not know if jdt.debug committers are interested.
Did you ask them?
I am also not certain if Eclipse Foundation can promise not to block my commit "privileges" to the code... so I don't really know if it's worth it to me.
From end-user POV, extra plugins, if it they're not in a default package and not topping on Marketplace are very likely to never be discovered. So if you a think about end-users or overall value of the Eclipse IDE, it's definitely worth it.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat