Re: [kura-dev] KURA/Kapua vs Eclipse SmartHome (OpenHAB2)

Hi Luiz,

I really appreciate your inquisitiveness into Eclipse IoT Projects. To answer your question, Eclipse Kura is a framework primarily focusing on building more generic IoT solutions, be it in Industrial IoT, Building IoT or in automobile or railways. On the other hand, Eclipse SmartHome is primarily focusing on Consumer IoT, that is, a framework with extensive collection of implementations to manipulate your home appliances. Just not to get confused, neither Eclipse SmartHome nor Eclipse Kura are end user products but frameworks to build your IoT solutions. Both the frameworks are developed in a modular fashion using OSGi and you can leverage the packaged OSGi runtime to build your own extensions atop.

Both of the frameworks strive to solve the complexities and intricacies involved in different domains of IoT. But in reality, you can use any of the frameworks to build any kind of IoT solution. That means, you can use Eclipse Kura to build your own system to operate on Philips Hue bulbs in your home but you need to implement the feature on your own. On the other hand, you can also use Eclipse SmartHome to connect to Industrial Modbus devices for data accumulation, but you need to implement the feature yourself. It will be more appropriate to choose Eclipse SmartHome to build your own Home Automation solution as it, by default, provides an extensive set of implementations to use many smart home appliances out there already in the market. On the contrary, for generic IoT solutions, such as in Industrial domain, it will be more appropriate to choose Eclipse Kura as it provides well known protocol implementations, such as Modbus, Siemens S7, Canbus, Bluetooth and many more.

I would recommend you to check the respective website of each of the frameworks to know more about the frameworks. I hope this will help you understand more.

Thanks and Regards,

Amit Kumar Mondal
Phone: +49 160 9100 3436  Email: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: arsenalnerk   GitHub: amitjoy