Re: [kura-dev] Kura 3.0

Hi Scott,

The start of the release plan can be found here [1]. Note, this is a working document, so check back often. To answer a few of your questions:

• Yes, we are still targeting the end of March. We are also planning a Milestone release that includes Kura Wires and a few other features. The target date for the Milestone release is the end of January.
• This release of Kura will be a major release, so expect a lot of API changes. We will likely divide the API and service bundles up into smaller pieces to provide finer granularity of the services. This is still in the planning stages, so I don’t have specifics at this time. We haven’t fully defined what will be simple refactoring versus full consumer/implementer breakages. The issue that will likely be used to track this is here [2].
• Kura is moving to Java 8. This means your host system will be required to run Java 8, but it also means your applications can finally take advantage of Java 8 constructs. It also allows us to move to newer versions of Equinox, Jetty, etc.
• There are many other pieces coming (Cloud Service enhancements, MQTT over websockets, Developer experience improvements, etc.) in this release. I will update the themes in [1] over the coming days.

Hope that helps.

[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/iot.kura/releases/3.0.0
[2] https://github.com/eclipse/kura/issues/940

Thanks,