Von: jwt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jwt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im
Auftrag von Marc Dutoo
Gesendet: 30 April 2008 15:31
An: Java Workflow Toolbox
Betreff: [jwt-dev] Tests and unit testing in JWT ?

Hi all

The issue of tests and how to do unit testing in JWT is of interest for the
core development team as well as anybody wishing to use JWT for his own
purpose.

So what do you think about tests and unit testing in JWT ?

As a starter, I've tried to compile a few answers here - feedback welcome !

JWT tests status :
   * none in WE, many but not yet automated in Transformations, junit tests
in runtime parts (but their impl is generally not jwt per se since not
available on eclipse because of license issues)

Unit testing
   * for unit tests of eclipse plugins, use pde.junit plugin (from jdt ui
page). In addition to executing junit tests, it takes care of initializing
an eclipse workspace, as required by eclipse plugins.
   * "httpunit-like" tools are scarce and far from useful in the field of
heavy client UIs. Some of my colleagues had a little bit of experience with
such IBM tools targeting Swing UIs back then, and say that writing tests was
far more cumbersome and long than writing the UI itself -_-
   * hence nothing car replace functional testing (test plans etc.) to know
a UI is not broken in use or impl - though a good architecture (like emf -
gmf - extension points - common patterns etc.), development and integration
methodology, limits risks.
   * more about testing eclipse plugins : see the excellent gamma & beck
book, and especially its chap12 that is freely available here
http://today.java.net/today/2004/02/02/ch12Eclipse.pdf

So what if you want to make your own tooling by extending JWT, and you'd
like to have some level of trust in the fact that a given release of JWT is
not broken, or that your extensions are not breaking it ? According to
Alexandre Boutin (main french advocate of Lean Programming),
   * it would not be business-savvy to spend time writing tests for existing
code. If code exists without tests and you trust it, use it so.
   * But if it breaks at some point, then add tests ensuring it won't break
the same way anymore.

Regards,
Marc