[jwt-dev] AW: JWT and orchestration / web services / databinding, Extension Points-discussion

Hi Marc,

I didn't intend to change the view completely, e.g. by trying to display
BPMN. But right now it is completely proprietary, but with some changes it
could easily be used as a modeling tool for UML activity diagrams. So, we
are just thinking of changing the icons that are displayed for each model
element. But this is left to future work (we are not working on this issue
right now)

Conerning the mixture of model and view: you are right that normally
location, size, etc. should not be part of the metamodel and better be
located somewhere else (e.g. in another file). But I fear this won't be easy
to implement due to backward compatibility. However, just enter it as a bug
report, if you like and we'll have a closer look.

Regarding web services: I just had another discussion with Chris Saad and he
didn't start changing something on the metamodel. The idea was this:
currently, Application contains properties such as Java class, JAR-archive,
method, etc. So any subclass of Application (such as WebServiceApplication)
would inherit these properties, too, but does not need those. So, the idea
was to have an Application without any properties and new subclasses such as
JavaApplication or WebServiceApplication. All former Applications would then
be mapped to JavaApplications and in the future one can decide whether to
specify a java program or a web service invocation. This would also be
necessary to create an extension point for future types (e.g.
CorbaApplication, XPDL, etc.). But, as already mentioned, we just discussed
this and didn't start implementing it. So, if you have any idea of
improvement, we will be happy to hear that :-)

An expression language for data mapping? Hmm, I don't know exactly how that
might work. Would you specify "here I got parameter A, B and C and A is
similar to x and B and C must be combined this-and-that-way in order to
become y"? But if you know a good language to do such a mapping: why not! I
simply don't want to invent a new one :-)

Best regards,

Florian