Re: [jwt-dev] Extending JWT Plugin

Hi Ralph

Thank you very much for taking the time to try JWT. I took a look at Imixs back then (before JWT started) but I admit not as much as you !

Your email is very interesting. You've pointed out a number of possible synergies we'd be willing to help you out on or even work on. Here are a few remarks, I'll post more later this week, being in a bind right now - and I'm sure Florian will have some too. Note that you'll find additional interesting information & documents on the wiki at http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Java_Workflow_Toolbox_Project .

Ralph.Soika@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :

Hi,

as I posted before in the news group I want to understand which extension points exists in the JWT Plugin. Let me try to explain some of my thoughts of extending the JWT. I am not sure but I believe that I and my college Gaby Heinle meet some of you on Systems 2006 in munich?
Florian probably ^^

Imixs.org is a open source workflow project. We support different technologies to build a workflow engine or workflow applications. So we implement a JEE based Workflow Server (IX JEE Workflow) (http://www.imixs.org/websites/imixs-org.nsf/chapter/3000.0020.?OpenDocument) which for example can be used as a component in a JEE Application Infrastructure. Also the project supports an Eclipse based modelling tool (IX Modeler) (http://www.imixs.org/websites/imixs-org.nsf/chapter/3000.0030.?OpenDocument).
Indeed, I noteed it to be one of the few complete open source BPM offerings.

So after I played around with the JWT Editor I think there are two different approaches. The goal of the JWT is - as I understood - a generic framework to support and integrate workflow engines. The IX Workflow is an individual implementation of a human centric workflow engine. As our workflow engine supports no monitoring tooling yet the JWT Monitoring would be also very interesting for us and one point of integration - or better cooperation. Open source projects should not integrate but extend and empower each other ;-)
You are right. Open source and JWT's goals plead for such integration !
The monitoring layer is not implemented yet, though it is planned, but will not be done before 2009. However we'd like to have some "start / stop process" features available in eclipse to the developer before that, we already have a generic API as well as its implementation on top of the OW2 / Bull Bonita workflow engine.

From the modelling view I think you follow a generic way. Is XPDL the current modelling fundament?
No, we use a "fair middle way" model, see wiki and especially http://wiki.eclipse.org/JWT_Metamodel including comparisons with XPDL and BPMN, however we're open to adding other "pivotal metamodels" offering the full set of JWT features, at the condition its integration is well validated through our samples and test framework. The point is, graphical tools have for maintainability's sake to edit not any given format but their own specific metamodels (the extreme being fully generated graphical tooling like GMF) that can't be generic enough to encompass concepts from as different BP point of views as e.g. BPEL and XPDL, and standards have similar limitations. So we settled on the "well thought" JWT model, and others are supported through transformations (any kind - we've already use model transformation with ATL and XML transformation with XSL technologies).

More about this : XPDL is seen as an "executable BP standard", BPEL being another one, while standard (XPDL, BPEL) compliant engines may support additional features in custom extensions. BPMN is seen as a help to design visually and conceptually business processes, to share diagrams between BP users, BP business designers, as well as a way to ease the start of the BP developer's work.
The Imixs Modeller is more specific and focusing on the behavior of teh IX Workflow Engine. So the Imixs Modeller is also working with ProcessEntities and ActivityEntites an Transitions. But the main goal is to configure what should happen during a transition inside the workflow engine. So we model technical things like who should receive an email or who will be granted read or write access (granting access is one of the most important features in our implementation)
Security model ? nice, have to see more about this.
So on one Workflow Activity we model a lot of attributes (normally more then 50). So this can not be mapped through the datatype package from your model as I understood?
I guess datamapping is lacking for now, at least in the modeler. Though we've planned to achieve support for proper service oriented databinding by the end of the year. Note that SOA features will be backed (at least) by the SCOrWare SOA / SCA platform ( http://www.scorware.org ) - SCA being non-intrusive enough so using mere web services will work also.
So it would be interesting to combine this two modellers. The general approach of modelling is important to get an understanding what happens during the flow. but also the technical details should be modelled. As our modeller extend the ProtperyView form Eclipse which an extendable dialog it is possible to combine the two modellers if you support an extension point to handle an Object from the class org.imixs.eclipse.workflowmodeler.model.ModelObject This object implements the org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.IPropertySource and is the basic class of our technical representation of a ProcessEntity or an ActivityEntity. But I know that graphical eclipse modellers are based on an individual domain object model and it could be problematic to find a way handle model objects from another plugin?
Indeed alas. Nonetheless I'd like to hear more about your needs. What would JWT provide that Imixs Modeler lacks ? Could you give a precise use case ?

As I sayed before the monitoring part of JWT is also interesting for our project. How is it possible to monitor an external Workflow Engine running in a JEE Container?
I am interesting in reading also more about this part of your project.
Right now we have (expected to be put in the CVS shortly, or is it there already ?) WorkflowService (instantiate, startActivity etc.) as local interfaces, and provide their implementations as WS clients, while providing in the SCOrWare project their configuration / implementation in SCA allowing for any kind of binding (WS, RMI etc.), as well as said Bonita Workflow Server implementation. This is expected also for MonitoringService when we'll work on it, using either an WorkflowEventHistory (event database) or WorkflowEventListener (dynamic monitoring) point of view (or both, we'll see ;).

Regards
Marc

Ralph