Re: [jwt-dev] [jwt-users] and the road goes on...

Hi Fabrice

First thanks for your "straight from the trenches" insights !

I really like what you say about doing both top-down and bottom-up approaches. For though top-down is the classical one in the workflow field, it has shown that alone it is not enough ; whereas the bottom-up has now the SOA wind blewing in its sail - as a close contributor to the Petals ESB I am well aware of that. I am actually convinced that by partnering with the SOA / SCA targeted friend project SCOrWare and aiming to provide for its BPM tooling needs we've already set similar goals.

On a related note I've recently been at the SOA / BPM show in Paris and I'll write more about it later.

About process views and UI : now I agree tabs would be the way to go to display the different views on a same process. I'm not sure it'll be as simple as actually having a "same process" between them, but that as well as how business-specific views are linked with a technical implementation of the process may be solved later, by refining our use cases.

Best regards
Marc Dutoo
Open Wide

Fabrice Dewasmes a écrit :
Hi all,

I've been very busy during the last months but it's still interesting to give some more inputs to the guys designing and developping all the great stuffs ! ;)

I'm very pleased to say that JWT has great days coming. I'm working together with some people in a great european institution and it's getting more and more evident that a flexible tool as JWT plans to be is definitely awaited by the market. The need for a BPMN notation seems to be important for a few people. In fact what is important I think is to have the ability to use JWT as top-down tool as so as a bottom-up tool. What I mean by this is that when going towards SOA, the two different approachs are most of time considered. The top-down approachs considers going from BPM representation to a more technical view whereas the bottom-up approach is focusing on the technical aspects, eventually mutualising the services achieved and exposing them to a more high level view (typically the process view, the analyst view). Having the ability to use JWT as a simple technical tool for modeling a process and deploy it on a runtime is great but what is also interesting is to be able to start from a more business modeling view (typically BPMN) and then switch from this view to a more technical view. How this could be implemented is maybe to have different tabs on the editor exposing the same process in different views. Then comes the difficulty of mapping the different views as the representations may not perfectly suits from one another.

let me know of what you think about this.

Fabrice