Re: [jgit-dev] Moving from Bugzilla to GitHub issue tracking

On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 11:49 PM Luca Milanesio <luca.milanesio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23 Nov 2023, at 22:33, Matthias Sohn via jgit-dev <jgit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I asked the foundation for recommendations regarding migration of bugs from Bugzilla to GitHub [1]:

What is the recommendation for bugs on bugzilla ? Migrate all the bugs to github or migrate only the open bugs or archive them and ask users to open new bugs for issues still existing ?

Since the GitHub API for importing issues is severely limited and does not allow setting the correct reporter, commenter and the original dates (amongst other things), we recommend to only move open issues (if any at all). Most projects that have moved their issue trackers have started fresh with GitHub issues.

Will non-migrated bugs still be accessible read-only in some archive after bugzilla deprecation is over ?

AFAIK, this is not planned.

WRT to Wiki migration, please see #681 for some hints how this can be done.

Will existing links to bugzilla bugs (e.g. in git commit messages) be redirected ?

As @fgurr mentioned we don't plan on redirecting those links, but that is because we are planning to deploy a static copy of Bugzilla so those links should continue to function.

Here some stats about open bugs in Bugzilla:

                                                    JGit                                   EGit
updated since 2023-01-01             33                                      25
updated since 2022-01-01.            76                                      71
updated since 2021-01-01           109                                    114
updated since 2020-01-01           143                                    171
all open bugs                                415                                 1006

Most projects which already migrated decided to start fresh on GitHub.
Bugzilla will be converted to a read-only static archive so that existing links won't break.

I lean towards following the other projects and not migrate bugs from Bugzilla.
This would mean that for existing, still relevant bugs new bugs would have to be created on GitHub.
Maybe we could migrate the open bugs which were last updated in 2023 to reduce the need to
manually recreate recent still relevant bugs.

Opinions ? What do you think about this proposal ?
There were no more reactions to this question, hence I will tell the Eclipse Foundation that we will start fresh
with issues in Github without migrating bugs. I'll ask them to make Bugzilla read-only for JGit and EGit.

I would recommend to use a different label (or format?) for the new bugs on GitHub, so that we can configure two different links regex for pointing to Bugzilla (or future static content) or GitHub issues.

Example / Proposal:

Bugzilla: "Bug: 580137
GitHub: Bug: jgit-1234
AFAIK GitHub’s issues do not have a global numbering for issues, therefore all issue numbers must be prefixed with the repository name.

Sounds good to me, can you please configure commentlinks and trackingids in GerritHub so that we can link
to JGit bugs using `Bug: jgit-1234` and to EGit bugs using `Bug: egit-1234` ?

Luca.