Re: [jgit-dev] [egit-dev] [cross-project-issues-dev] Eclipse Photon Opt-in

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Thomas Wolf <thomas.wolf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 22, 2017, at 22:50, Matthias Sohn wrote:

> I propose we ship 5.0 for Photon in June 2018, this gives us the chance for API cleanup.
> What do you think ?

Fine by me. EGit doesn’t have a public API anyway… well, nearly: packages
org.eclipse.egit.gitflow and org.eclipse.egit.gitflow.op are _not_ marked
x-internal or x-friends. And EGerrit is using at least one internal class from
EGit UI (FetchGerritChangeWizard, IIRC).

Can’t comment on JGit.

General question: do the API removal policy[1] or the Deprecation policy[2] apply?
If so, isn’t it too late already if some obsolete APIs were to be removed?

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central/API_Removal_Process
[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central/Deprecation_Policy

JGit and EGit are not under the Eclipse top level project but part of the technology project.
Release train requirements require that we document API compatibility compared to older releases [1].
So if we e.g. remove deprecated API we should document that. We could in addition ask on the mailing list
to gather more feedback from the community.
The Eclipse project handbook [2] says that major releases may contain breaking API changes

-Matthias

Back to the top