Re: [jgit-dev] Is there an interest of a porcelain like API for bare repos?

Hi Matthias,

 Glad to hear that there's some interest in some of the things we have
in our codebase. I'll try to assess the gap between actual commands
under org.eclipse.jgit.api package and how our bare API would fit on
that (last time I did it... was soo different that made more sense to
have one focused just on bare).
 I'll have to clean up something (working that I'm doing it now
anyway) to contribute the NIO filesystem implementation, but I'd be
happy to contribute.
 Now in regard Ketch, this is still very early to say, the code that I
pointed still in my dev branch and not integrated into our projects.
What I can tell so far is that I had to make few changes to Ketch code
to make it work in a small and controlled environment. As this
environment is still very limited, I'll need a bit more of time to
give you an accurate answer. What I can tell so far is that we're
committed to using it, so expect to hear from me soon more about it.

ps: most of this code is already running in production for many years,
so quite stable.

Regards,
---
Alexandre Porcelli
Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat Business Systems and Intelligence Group

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:25 AM, Matthias Sohn <matthias.sohn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Alexandre Porcelli Bakos
> <porcelli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> We already have this in our codebase [1], wondering if there would be
>> interest to get this code (with some necessary adjusts, of course)
>> into JGit codebase.
>>
>> If yes, I'd be happy to contribute.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/porcelli-forks/uberfire/tree/jgit-improvements-ketch/uberfire-nio2-backport/uberfire-nio2-impls/uberfire-nio2-jgit/src/main/java/org/uberfire/java/nio/fs/jgit/util/commands
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/porcelli-forks/uberfire/blob/jgit-improvements-ketch/uberfire-nio2-backport/uberfire-nio2-impls/uberfire-nio2-jgit/src/main/java/org/uberfire/java/nio/fs/jgit/util/GitImpl.java
>

> this looks really interesting.
>
> on first glance I found the following interesting parts in your code
> * jgit based NIO filesystem implementation
> * additional commands, options for JGit porcelain API
> * it seems you are using Ketch, could you shed some light on how you are
> using it and what's the status of Ketch from your experience using it ?
>
> I think it would be nice if you could contribute this code.
>
> The filesystem implementation could go into a separate bundle (jar).
>
> New commands/options should be integrated with existing commands in package
> org.eclipse.jgit.api, I think we should not duplicate already existing
> commands to add support for bare repositories but rather enhance the
> existing commands if they do not yet support bare repositories.
>
> -Matthias

Back to the top