Re: [jetty-users] HTTP/2 transparancy (longish)

Silvio,

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Silvio Bierman
<sbierman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I use an Jetty 9.3 embedded and have done some testing with HTTP/2 recently.
> I added the necessary code but implemented a run-time flag to indicate the
> use of HTTP/2 so I could easily turn it on/off.
>
> All the tests we have done ourselves have shown a 100% transparency for the
> HTTP version that is used. Not the slightest difference in functional
> behavior and zero errors in the logs.
>
> We have two types of users. One type uses our system to define websites and
> related surveys and reporting dashboards. The second type are the members or
> research panels or survey invitees that visit the websites, take part in
> forum discussions and fill out surveys.
>
> So last week we decided to try HTTP/2 in the wild. We ran two of our
> application servers with HTTP/2 enabled. And then the problems started.
>
> One group of the first type of users (all from the same office location)
> experienced serious non-intermittent faulty behavior while most other type 1
> users had no problems at all but for them some of the type 2 users reported
> problems.
>
> The errors are all over the place and make little sense to us. Form posts
> with headers or parameter values missing etc.
>
> After disabling HTTP/2 things went back to normal...
>
> Since it is impossible for us to reproduce the problems this is hard to pin
> point. I could add logging and have the users try again but I am a bit
> reluctant to do this unless I am sure it I will be able to resolve the
> issue.

It's difficult to tell what went wrong without further details on the
errors that happened.

> Is there any explanation why this would happen to some users and not to
> others? One user had a consistent problem using his desktop browser (Chrome)
> while thing where fine on his phone and tablet (using a different network
> connection). At the same exactly the same thing worked fine for me with my
> Chrome browser.

If this is reproducible for this user, it would be a good starting
point to investigate.
Did you have server-side errors ? Where and how you offload TLS ?

Like you say, HTTP/2 should be (and actually is) completely transparent.
Gmail and all Google applications (YouTube, etc.) work on HTTP/2
without the users knowing.

Make sure you are on the latest Jetty (9.3.6).

You may want to consider commercial support, perhaps ? That would save
you a lot of time/investigation.

Or, give us something more detailed to analyze.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top