Re: [jetty-dev] Configuration changes in jetty-10

Simone,

see inline

On 9 May 2017 at 11:00, Simone Bordet <sbordet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

First review looks good to me.

third attempt at it, so that's good :)

One use case that often came up in the past was the ability to expose
server classes for Jetty API usage in web applications.
In particular being able to cast a HttpServletRequest to Request, etc.

Old code/approach should still work.  You can still directly manipulate server/system classes.

Before, this could have been done by a context XML file with strings.
I am not clear how you can do this now ? You need to write a module
with a jar so that the configuration gets discovered ?

You can do it with a Configuration in a jar if you wanted to, but old approach still works.

On another note, DisabledByDefault is a type, rather than a method
that returns boolean.
We've been bitten in the past by this (e.g. blocking vs non-blocking
callbacks), is there no chance that the fact that a configuration is
disabled may be decided at runtime rather than a compile time ?

Good point... will change.

Also, I am not clear about the topological sort.
I would have expected only one relationship (e.g. getDependencies()),
while instead there are two (dependents and dependencies).
Is this because a configuration may not know all its dependencies ?

Exactly.  We need to be able to add configurations that insert themselves before existing configurations.  Same as the before/after clauses in web.xml fragments.

Is not there a risk for circularities ?

Yes, but there is even with just dependencies.   The sort detects loops and reports them.

cheers

Thanks !

--
Simone Bordet