[jetty-dev] Re: ip review question for jetty artifact publishing

Perfect.

thanks for catching that jeff, that makes this M0 release all the more
awesome :)

cheers
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:18, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> previously.  They will not have been run through the conditioning
>> process, signed, etc etc.
>>
>> I am all for building up the eclipse community here, please don't get
>> me wrong.  I just very much wanted to get this initial milestone out
>> labeled 7.0.0.M1 for the majority of our existing users in a channel
>> that was clearly allowed and sanctioned by the IP team.  If we are
>> also allowed to put this bundle on the eclipse jetty download site,
>> clearly identify it as a M1 (or M0) release from the incubator project
>> then that is more then I hoped we could right out of the gate.  If we
>> have to get these artifacts pushed through the conditioning process
>> before that then heck, at least we have them generated and able to
>> work with them from the maven side while we sort out the requirements
>> on the bundlizing side.
>>
>> So please don't take this as an affront to eclipse community or
>> anything, we are taking the eclipse side of things as an additive
>> approach, so first we needed to get back to the state we have been
>> previous to this project transfer. This gets us there, and if as you
>> say we can drop this jetty-distribution-7.0.0.M1.zip file onto our
>> eclipse download page and link to it from the jetty eclipse site, then
>> that is awesome and more then I figured we could do.
>>
>> thanks!
>> jesse
>>
>> --
>> jesse mcconnell
>> jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 08:23, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Generally sounds good.  A few comments inline...

>>> Why not? Seems counter to community building to send people to a
>>> different
>>> spot to get the project output.  Putting stuff out is putting stuff out
>>> regardless of where you put it. Large swaths of the Eclipse community
>>> wouldn't know how to get something from a Maven repo.  AFAIK there are no
>>> inhibitor to you making builds available at eclipse.org.  The only issue
>>> is
>>> what you call them (i.e., don't call them releases and you are fine).
>>>
>>> Not putting things at eclipse.org is an inhibitor to building community
>>> at
>>> Eclipse.

>>> This is general goodness

>>> I thought that even the current jetty 6 stuff was coming as bundles.  Can
>>> the same technique/mechanism be used for Jetty 7?  What is the expected
>>> timeline on bundle production?

>>> This is not a feature.  Production is separate from consumption and you
>>> don't control the latter.  IMHO you actually want the rest of the Eclipse
>>> community to be consuming your stuff. This should be a stated goal.

>>> As I say, this seems fine.  I suspect the maven integration teams have
>>> similar issues but am not sure.  My main concern is that Jetty start out
>>> of
>>> the blocks at Eclipse producing Eclipse-like things (i.e., bundles
>>> from eclipse.org) as this sets a tone and expectation.  This is not a
>>> show
>>> stopper for you getting something out but it would help grow the
>>> community
>>> at Eclipse if there were a clear and timely plan for addressing these
>>> topics.
>>>
>>> Jeff

Back to the top