[jdt-ui-dev] Packages in Eclipse

Hi,

I have a discussion with Eric C. about there Plugin for Eclipse about packages.
It is eclipse fault so i hope eclipse can do something about it:

Here is a portion of our discussion:

> >But as i said, this is not specific your fault but Eclipse.
>
> Correct. We are trying to match the standard Eclipse semantic here (e.g.,
> packages are only shown if they are either non-empty or are a leaf
> package). We could easily add an option to show empty, non-leaf packages
in
> the flat list. What do you think?

This is again very annoying because if i make this package:

nl.jcom.servlet.mywebbapp

then i have suddenly
nl
nl.jcom
nl.jcom.servlet
nl.jcom.servlet.mywebbapp

as packages?
That is not what anybody wants trust me :-)

This is just a big problem of eclipse. You can't make a Package unit.
Eclise or JTD should do something about this. They shoud store
what the packages are and what normal dirs are for the resources.

Now is my Feature request this:

Please make i so that a package is not just a directory structure but a real unit
like it is in VAJ.
Can't you store inside one of the projects files (like .classpath or .vcm_meta data)
What the real packages are?

If i create now for example a package in the Java perspective like this:
nl.jcom.servlet.webapp

Then i see that one.
But i can't create nl.jcom.serlvet anymore! It won't come up.

So there is only one solution: Store in a file what the real packages are.
With an import of code. Alle the directory's that contains a class are auto added
to that file. Then when you create youre self a package it's also created into that.
I think this is really the only solution.

Johan

Back to the top