From: jdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Aaron Digulla
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 2:22 PM
To: jdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [jdt-dev] Option for verbose JDT output/logging

Scott Delap wrote:
> I have about 500megs of source in my project.  Sometimes a clean/build
> takes 20 minutes other times it takes 3 hours.  I would think the
> process of clean then build would be the same each time and reasonable
> consistent time wise.  Is there any way to turn on a verbose mode so I
> can attempt to see where the slowdowns are. Often I simply get an
> "Operation in progress" dialog with no option for details.  I'm then
> forced to just wait.

Get the memory monitor for Eclipse and increase the default amount of
memory.
I would guess that Eclipse is spending a lot of time during garbage
collection.

Also, I'm using this trick to keep the compilations times low: In base
packages (used in many places), I create JARs with the sources and docs.
These are referenced in depending projects. This way, I can develop new
features in the base projects without having to recompile everything all the
time and when I'm done with a new feature, I recreate the JARs which causes
a quick recompile of the depending projects.

--
Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla a.k.a. Philmann Dark "It's not the universe that's
limited, it's our imagination.