Re: [jaxrs-dev] [DISCUSS] Branch protection on GitHub

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. To be honest, I expected more discussion about individual settings. That's why I created a [DISCUSS] thread for this. However, it is great to see that everyone is happy with these settings.

I'll nevertheless start a separate [VOTE] thread for the final vote. Just to demonstrate the workflow I described in the committer conventions thread.

Christian

Am Mo., 9. Apr. 2018 um 22:33 Uhr schrieb Andy McCright <j.andrew.mccright@xxxxxxxxx>:
+1, though I'm fine either way on requiring branches to be up to date.  I might be wrong, but I don't think there will be as much churn on spec projects as there are for other product-type projects.

Thanks Christian!

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM, Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+1

From: jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jaxrs-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christian Kaltepoth
Sent: Samstag, 7. April 2018 10:57
To: jaxrs developer discussions
Subject: [jaxrs-dev] [DISCUSS] Branch protection on GitHub

Hi all,

GitHub supports a number of advanced branch protection options. I think we should ask the Eclipse webmaster team to configure these branch protection settings, so we can take full advantage of the features provides by GitHub.

Therefore, I would like to propose to use the following branch protection settings for the master branch. Please also note the comments under the screenshot.

jaxrs-branch-protection.png

A few notes:

  • Require pull request reviews before merging
    • This is set to 2 (although we require 3 votes for a pull request), because in many cases pull requests are created by committers which implies one +1 vote. So we technically enforce only 2 approvals although we may need 3 approvals if the pull request is created by someone who is not a committer.
  • Dismiss stale pull request approvals when new commits are pushed
    • I really think that setting this option is a good idea. Committers having approved a PR should have a another look at the changes if commits were added. This is of course more review work, but absolutely makes sense.
  • Require branches to be up to date before merging
    • I disabled this option because it would require ALL pull requests to be rebased after a new commit on master has been added. This is too much work and not worth the effort.

Please let me now your thoughts.

Christian