[jaxrs-dev] GitHub + CI builds

Hey all,

I'm really happy to see that the first pull requests have been merged on GitHub. This is awesome and I'm excited to see that JAX-RS is the first EE4J project getting up to speed.

One thing I would love to see soon are automatic CI builds for pull requests and branch commits. I'm not so familiar with the build infrastructure of the Eclipse Foundation, but AFAIK they are using Jenkins and therefore we won't easily get CI builds for individual pull requests from them.

That's why I would like to propose integrating Travis CI into our repository. Travis is a cloud based CI service which is free for open source projects. We are using Travis since quite some time for the MVC specification and getting CI builds for each pull request is a HUGE help. You will instantly get CI build results included in each pull request next to the IP check already done by the Eclipse Foundation GitHub integration (see "All checks have passed" panel).

To enable Travis builds for JAX-RS only two simple steps would be required:
  • We will need a single file called ".travis.yml" in the root directory of the repository. This is the configuration file for Travis. We could start with a really simple one. The first 4 lines of the MVC spec config file would be enough. In MVC we even deploy our snapshots using Travis, but I guess this should be done in the Eclipse CI infrastructure instead.
  • An Eclipse Webmaster needs to enable Travis for the repository. We could ask for this via Bugzilla. There are many other Eclipse projects who already did this. So I don't think this will be a problem.
Any thoughts about this? If you agree, I could create a pull request containing a Travis config file soon.

Christian