[jaxrs-dev] Voting rules

Hi all,

I'm very happy to see that more and more people participate in the discussions on this mailing list. And it also looks like there are a few topics for which there is a general agreement on how to proceed with them.

Therefore, I think we should discuss the voting procedure that should be used for the project. Well defined voting rules are very important, so we can proceed with concrete actions after initial discussions.

AFAIK the Eclipse Development Process doesn't describe concrete voting rules. So we need to come up with our own rules. Fortunately the voting rules used in different communities are very similar. Therefore, I propose to use the same voting rules which are used for Committer Elections according to the Eclipse Project Handbook. These are basically the same as the rules described in the Apache Voting Process.

  A vote is considered successful if there are at least three +1 votes and no -1 votes.

We could use this voting rule for both general votes on the mailing list and also for voting on pull requests.

What do you think? Are formal rules required? If so, do you like this rule?

Christian