Re: [jaxrs-dev] Checkstyle Settings / Code Format Conventions

On Feb 24, 2018, at 12:29 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero <z06.guillermo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Checkstyle rules I adjusted/removedare the following:

  • Maximum line length of 120 characters (183 violations)
    • I adjusted this threshold to 160 characters which fixes all violations. However, I agree that 160 feels too high. But there are some lines violating the 120 rule which are very difficult to format differently. See the long URLs in the Status enum for an example.
    • Maybe we could just set it to 140 to remove _most_ violations? 140 may be OK considering today's screen resolutions.

 I agree with 120/160.
  • Method parameters should be final (406 violations)
    • Although I like this pattern, it wasn't used for the API in the past. So I don't think that we should enforce it now. Especially as this change may not be binary compatible.
 Adding final to every param is how we get over 120 :-) I find this noisy.
  • Whitespace around "<" and ">" tokens (1847 violations)
    • This rule is violated for almost all cases of generics usage like List<String>, so I guess it is safe to disable this one.
 +1

— Santiago

Back to the top