[jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes of September 25 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Minutes of September 25 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Attendees:

Fujitsu: Kenji Kazumura, Mike Denicola
IBM: Dan Bandera
Oracle: Will Lyons
Payara: Steve Millidge
Red Hat: Mark Little
Tomitribe:  David Blevins, Richard Monson-Hafael
Martijn Verburg:
Ivar Grimstad:

Eclipse: Mike Milinkovich

Review of Minutes from Prior Meeting

Minutes of Sept 11 meeting were approved.

Budget Update

1) The following resolution was approved

RESOLVED, the 2019 Jakarta EE Working Group budget is approved as presented.

The next step is to confirm the program plan.  Paul will distribute an updated plan for initial review next week.

Changes to the charter reflecting the fees will be published to the Jakarta EE WG Charter this week.

Mike intends to publish a Jakarta EE update blog.

Oracle noted it will also be blogging on GF contributions.

A participation agreement will be drafted and distributed to WG members

2)  Kenji raised a question in email which we should attempt to address in the near future:    Are there any differences about using Jakarta EE branding between Strategic member and Enterprise/Participant member ?

Will discuss in future meeting - Paul will draft a plan for using the brand.

Working Group Calls

Report on the first meeting Sept 24 11AM - 12PM EDT.    From Tanja:

Many thanks everyone who was able to join the call today. For the Working Group (WG) members who were not able to attend, please review the meeting recording.

Again, a very special thanks to Dmitry Kornilov, Ivar Grimstad, Heiko Rupp and Neil Patterson for providing updates on the various Jakarta EE activities. Many thanks to Paul While for the help as well.

As indicated we would love to have these calls on the monthly bases. While we are not sure we can select time that works for everyone, we created this Doodle poll to select the best time for most of us. Please respond and let me know what time slot would work for you. I have extended the poll with day / times suggested by Ameila. Note: we are trying to get your input on the day / time in a week, please do not focus on the poll dates.

The call updated the WG on Eclipse GlassFish 5.1, PMC Update, ECE/Code One plans.  Poll for topics in follow-on monthly calls (see link above):

EclipseCon Europe

Paul requests we reach out to community members to let them know about it and encourage attendance

Updates on Oracle contributions

https://www.eclipse.org/ee4j/status.php

Schedule discussed last week:

        Sep 21 -- All code required for GF build contributed.
        Sep 23 — Eclipse GlassFish builds.

        Oct 1 -- Java EE 8 CTS testing. We are able to run CTS tests on Eclipse GlassFish.
        Oct 22 — CI/CD release pipelines completed.
        Oct 22 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1-RC1 milestone release.
        Nov 5 — Dependencies updated. All projects are released to OSSRH and have dependencies to Eclipse version of other components.
        Nov 30 -- Release Review completed.

        Dec 14 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1 release. All CTS tests are passed.

All GF sources are contributed, going through Eclipse Fpundation IP Review.

GF builds have begun and Java EE 8 tests have begun execution.

CI/CD pipelines status - not much progress since last week.

Changing groupid of API projects – PRs submitted for all available repositories.  Thanks Guillermo González de Agüero.

Oracle will blog on this topic.

Discuss Building Momentum for Jakarta EE discussed in the last Steering Committee meeting (excerpts from email content in italics)

1. Release Eclipse GlassFish and certify it as Java EE 8 compatible.

Each of the EE4J projects have project leads identified.   Each of the EE4J projects needs to be released and a task in the project’s issue tracker has been opened to track this activity.   For example, see: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/servlet-api/issues/195

We would welcome project leads, or other committers, to take the initiative to:
•    Review the release documents and prepare to release these projects, or recruit and encourage other community members to do so, and..
•    Update the appropriate Jira issues reflecting your plans
•    Let Ed and Dmitry know if you will take on responsibility for releasing the project in question

Dmitry has created a Google spreadsheet for tracking progress:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8inaprMOjnq04hU2o76egHhC8AF3-vNvqjRq6GR0eM/edit#gid=0

The activity being tracked above is less than 10% complete.

Per the schedule noted above, the current target date for Eclipse GlassFish 5.1 release and Java EE 8 certification is December 14.

2. Create a roadmap for definition of a specification process by the end of the year

  Ideally we will define public milestones some of which are achievable by Code One / EclipseCon Europe.

The goal is to have a draft process delivered to Spec Committee by Thursday and to have a draft process ready for community review by ECE/OC1.   Draft process distributed and is under review by Spec Committee.  Still tracking to ECE/OC1 goal.

3. Announce commitment to Working Group funding

Assuming we collectively commit to a funding model, we should communicate this externally.   We expect to make progress on this topic in the next Steering Committee meeting.

Mike will blog on this per above.

4. Demonstrate successful execution of the contributed TCKs

Progress on this is possible by Code One/ECE but not likely.  Our messaging should not rely on this.

5. Define distributed ownership of Jakarta EE technology areas and directions

This is related to item #1.

6. Commit to Code One/ECE messaging

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Bgh5rP1qKJdATlQ5ZC-ceJ9AFvHq8lq8_xFrarnlH0/edit

This document has been updated regarding the GlassFish contribution schedule.

We should add a message regarding funding commitments when budget is approved.

Need to discuss what can be said about the specification process.

Regarding setting technical direction, David initiated a community discussion on Jakarta EE technology directions, starting with jakarta.ee-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx, and the PMC list, and leads (David requested list of lead names) and report back at next Steering Committee meeting.  David had several responses to his mail.   Have another 10 days for further replies.

Will discuss further detail on "technical direction" next week.

Code One/ECE presence

Would like to discuss in detail next week.    Are certain Code One talks open for "panel" discussion?

Mark has a panel discussion scheduled.    Will capture details of who will participate next week.

28 Java EE/Jakarta EE sessions at OC1, 15 at ECE.

Legal Documents

Oracle Legal is working on the TM license agreement. We have requested a date for a draft.

JakartaOne

Not enough time to plan/execute for mtg next year.  Will target for Spring 2020 for a physical event.   Will target 1-2 virtual events for 2019.

Marketing Committee Update

Requested members post to Amelia's sheet.

PMC Update

Ongoing discussion on email templates for Jakarta EE project

Recruitment of new members; Elections

Regarding additional PMC representation, will address next year when we do elections again.

Planned Jakarta EE certifications

What other app servers, besides GlassFish can we expect on Jakarta EE 8.

Has been confirmed in spec committee.

Back to the top