Re: [jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes from Jakarta EE Steering Committee Budget Meeting on August 22

Quick correction to add me to the minutes.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

On Aug 28, 2018, at 6:47 PM, will.lyons@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Minutes from Jakarta EE Steering Committee Budget Meeting on August 22

Attendees:

Fujitsu:  Kenji Kazamura
IBM: Dan Bandera
Oracle: Will Lyons
Payara: Steve Millidge
Red Hat: Scott Stark
Tomitribe: Richard Monson-Hafael
Martijn Verburg
Ivar Grimstad (not present)

Eclipse Foundation: Mike Milinkovich

The purpose of the meeting was to discuss funding commitments from Strategic Members of the Jakarta EE Working Group.  We referenced the draft minutes of the August 2 Budget Meeting below.

1) Oracle opened by saying it is prepared to commit to funding at the option 1 level ($300K/year) for three years.

2) Fujitsu abstained at this time.  Kenji is prepared to initiate an approval request for funding at the option 1 level ($300K/year) for three years, but it may take several months to obtain internal approval and approval is uncertain.  It is assumed that funding commitment would be contingent on resolution of the javax namespace requirement per the contingency statement below*.

3) IBM has not formally submitted an internal funding request.  IBM had assessed funding at $150K (year 1), $300K (year 2), and $300K (year 3), and believed it was doable.  IBM needs to go back to evaluate funding at the option 1 level ($300K/year) for three years.  Funding commitment would be contingent on resolution of the javax namespace requirement per the contingency statement below*.

4) Payara can commit to funding at the option 1 level ($25K/year) for three years.  Funding commitment would be contingent on resolution of the javax namespace requirement per the contingency statement below*.

5) Red Hat needs to get confirmation from Mark Little on approved funding levels. The request to Red Hat would be for funding at the option 1 level ($300K/year) for three years. It is assumed that funding commitment would be contingent on resolution of the javax namespace requirement per the contingency statement below*.

6) Tomitribe can commit to funding at the option 1 level ($25K/year) for three years.  Funding commitment would be contingent on resolution of the javax namespace requirement per the contingency statement below*.   Tomitribe would prefer a funding model which encourages contributions from other contributions as well - for example $5K/year.  This question of how to encourage incremental funding from other members was discussed and will be revisited at Steering Committee.  Tomitribe is willing to make the funding commitment above prior to resolution of this question.

7) LJC intends to run a crowdfunding campaign to support Jakarta EE.  LJC believes a $5K contribution would be manageable in Year 1.

*Contingency statement: Commitment would be to year 1 funding and two more years at the option 1 level, with option to withdraw funding after year 1 if there is no progress on enabling evolution of the current Java EE 8 technologies, including Java EE 8 specifications and including javax namespace evolution (use of javax namespace for current specifications - no use of javax in net new specifications).

Eclipse Foundation: This process will result in a participation agreement - at some level if a WG/SC member cannot commit at the level required, then they will not be able to participate at this level. The Eclipse Foundation will attempt to be as flexible as possible on this point, and sensitive to internal budget processes of member organizations.

Next steps:
- We will follow-up on this topic specifically at next SC meeting.  The primary request is to IBM and Red Hat to obtain the requested funding commitments.
- Assuming funding commitments are obtained, we would draft, review and vote on a Steering Committee resolution with the required funding levels.
- EF would draft a participation agreement based on the agreed funding levels, with the contingency statement referenced above.