[jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes for Jakarta EE Working Group Steering Committee Meeting on May 1, 2018

Minutes for Jakarta EE Working Group Steering Committee Meeting on May 1, 2018

Meeting at 12:30 PM EDT

https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/140846579

1) Attendees/roll call of Steering Committee members:

Steering Committee members:
Dan Bandera - IBM
Will Lyons - Oracle
Steve Millidge - Payara
Kenji Kazumura - Fujitsu
Mark Little - Red Hat
David Blevins - Tomitribe

Eclipse Foundation:
Mike Milinkovich - Eclipse Foundation

2) Review of minutes from prior meeting
Requested to send out meetings immediately following.  Please send comments on 4/24 minutes in email.

3) Launch/Marketing Update
Useful updates from the Marketing Committee 4/26 draft meeting minutes
  • Marketing committee has will manage the Jakarta EE Web site, build a messaging plan, and rolling marketing plan
  • Good feedback at JAX
  • Will work on scheduling community calls
  • Useful launch statistics
David: Can we get links from the Oracle Java EE Twitter account to the Jakarta EE twitter account.   Will follow up with David.

4) Spec Committee update
From Paul:
It would appear there is no time that is convenient for everyone to hold these meetings.  Certainly not surprising given the multiple time zones, but something we’ll need to work out collectively.

One approach may have to be that we hold the meeting at alternating times.  e.g., 10:00 AM one week, and noon the next week.  (all times EDT for convenience)

I will schedule the first meeting for May 4 at 11:00 EDT as (hopefully) a compromise.  I know this doesn’t work for all, but it at least is a time for us to start - and can take it from there.

Comments/suggestions welcome.
We need input from the spec committee on whether we can work out these logistics or an alternative.

A first request to the Spec Committee is to define requirements for the specification process, in addition to defining the process itself.
David requested that the meeting be scheduled such that critical Pacific Time attendees can participate at least initially.
Wayne will push out some preparation/homework for the first meeting - a proto spec requirements document.  One of the requirements will be to fit in to the Eclipse process.
Our working assumption is that the Jakarta EE brand will be obtained by demonstration of conformance to specifications that are created by the spec process.   So the spec committee is driving branding.
5) Technical Vision update
Any update from the PMC and Platform Project Committers on proposing a technical direction?

No progress.   Next PMC meeting is next week. Will be on the agenda.

6) Status of Oracle contributions
https://www.eclipse.org/ee4j/status.php

(No change in this report from last meeting)
34 projects at or past project review (unchanged from last week)
20 projects with committers and resources provisioned (unchanged from last week)
15 projects with initial contributions provided (unchanged from last week)
13 projects with initial contributions pushed to Git (unchanged from last week)

3 new project proposals have been drafted for review/feedback from PMC.     Eclipse Project for JPA, Eclipse ORB, Eclipse Metro

The following projects will need a description (2-3 sentences) of any non-default licensing and why we need this license (re: Apache and EDL licenses).  In order to obtain BOD approval need the above by next Tuesday.  This applies to the following projects.

    Metro
    GlassFish
    JAX-WS
    JAXB
    JAF
    ORB

There are still assigned committers who have not engaged with Wayne/EF.    Wayne will send out email requesting follow-up from WG members and send to Steering Committee.

Going forward all assigned committers must have a EF account.
7) Recruitment of Enterprise members, updating messaging.

No Enterprise members signed up to date.

EF ask is for vendors to re-engage with Enterprise customer prospects.

EF will share a flyer (one-pager re: WG) and update/rebrand the starting pitch.

Paul will deliver updated flyer and rebranded pitch by the end of the week.

8) Conferences
EclipseCon Europe
From Mike:  Please talk to Paul about your interest in sponsorship, speaking, and participation in ECE 2018.

Note: CFP going out May 15.   When the CFP goes live, early submissions would be helpful.

Sponsorship sales are going well.  Predicting that the conference will sell out of space by summer.

Paul will send out prospectus for the event.
JakartaOne
Discussed, but no specific plans at this time.

Important to note that EF owns the rights to the Jakarta and JakartaOne names.
9) Legal Documents

The Oracle team is working internally to move the process forward, focusing on Java EE TCK, Trademark Agreement, and Specification related issues.

Mike may be available the week of 5/14 on west coast (Th May 17) if there is a requirement for such a meeting.

10) Election nominations

Participant members: 3 nominations have been received for each of the committees

The next step is to gather bios, committers will cast ballots for committer reps.

Note: To be a member committer one must:
  • be an employee of a member, OR
  • request membership as individual

Back to the top