Re: [iot-wg] IoT Server Platform

Hi,

Here at Red Hat we are working on the open source project (Apache 2.0 licensed) called Rhiot [1] which covers:
a) IoT gateway software
b) backend services for the IoT backend (aka Rhiot Cloud [2])
So I guess that b) may somehow overlaps with the scope of the backend platform you plan to create.

While Rhiot is mainly focused on building the platform on the top of our open source JBoss Middleware portfolio [3], we are already adopting Kura bits for the gateway and Leshan for the device management. As I'm great fan of the Eclipse IoT stack and hate to the reinvent the wheel, I'd love to see some IoT backend efforts here at Eclipse, so we can integrate it into the Rhiot.

I'm really happy to see this kind of initiative and I'd love to join the discussion (and then the implementation)! BTW I will be at the EclipseCon, I even happen to talk there about Camel+Kura integration, together with the EuroTech's Luca Dazi [4], so we should got a chance to talk face to face about this.

Cheers!

[1] http://rhiot.io
[2] https://github.com/rhiot/rhiot/blob/master/docs/readme.md#rhiot-cloud
[3] http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/jboss-middleware
[4] https://www.eclipsecon.org/europe2015/session/team-eclipse-kura-and-apache-camel-iot-gateways

pt., 11.09.2015 o 18:38 użytkownik Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:
Hi Kai,

On 9/11/2015 1:26 AM, Hudalla Kai (INST/ESY) wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> thanks for your reply. I have made some comments below ...
>
>> ECF's implementation of OSGi Remote Services/Remote Service Admin [2]
>> is clearly technically related to IoT Server Platform work and IoT more
>> generally, and we've articulated some of those technical connections
>> here [3].   Further, I'm aware of several cloud-based products
>> successfully using ECF's RSA implementation right now.
>>
> Thanks for pointing this out. The ECF certainly could be a valuable component for implementing an IoT Server Platform.
> I am by no means an expert in ECF and I wonder whether ECF's protocol implementations can also be used outside of
> an OSGi framework and using strict messaging semantics, i.e. in a message exchange pattern not necessarily implementing
> a remote service invocation but instead simple message forwarding?

Yes.   There are several transport providers that can be used outside of
OSGi.   e.g. the generic provider (which I use myself in Android
environments, for example), the JMS provider, the MQTT provider, the
Jax-RS providers, the Hazelcast provider.

You also appear to be asking about support for publish/subscribe
messaging patterns (as opposed to RPC/remote service patterns). The
answer to this is also a strong 'yes', as this work implementing
distributed event admin demonstrates [1].  I can also tell you that the
model underlying the generic provider and several of the other providers
(JMS, MQTT, etc) is based upon an asynchronous multipoint (pub/sub)
messaging approach, so any of these can be used directly in this manner
without the RSA impl bundles.  With respect to standardization, OSGi
RFP-158 is on distributed eventing [2].   I am participating in the EEG
around these directions.

> While OSGi is surely an option for implementing server side components, my personal feeling is that server side components
> will be implemented using arbitrary technologies and deployment models beyond OSGi as well.

I certainly agree with you about that.   FWIW, there is some work I've
recently done to use Apache Connect to expose remote services in
Java-only environments (no OSGi framework) [2].   Apache Connect is an
implementation of the OSGi Service Registry...without the underlying
OSGi framework.   Since Renote Services/RSA is simply an extension to
the OSGi Service Registry, ECF's impl...and any remote services...run
unmodified on Java-only runtimes.

>> There is a bit of a problem, however, in that as much as ECF would like
>> to participate in the EF IoT Server Platform work, we are currently
>> somewhat process-limited in how much we can contribute because we are
>> not sponsored or supported by an IoT working group company.   For the
>> record, we would welcome committers/contributors to ECF from the IoT
>> working group.
>>
> That is good to hear :-)
> I think we should start to discuss opportunities where we could mutually benefit from each other's collaboration.

Sure.  That would be splendid.

> A first connection point might be integration of ECF and Kura?

That would be great.  I've suggested it several times on this mailing
list and on the kura-dev mailing list, and would still very much like to
have it happen.  ECF's RSA implementation runs now on any R5-compliant
impl of the framework (e.g. Karaf/Felix as well as Equinox).

>> It is possible that some of ECF's Europe-based committers will attend
>> EclipseCon 2015, if they are able to attend I'm sure they would be
>> happy to participate.
>>
> That would be great, I'm looking forward to meet any of you guys there!

I will encourage our ECF-Europe committers to attend.

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Distributed_EventAdmin_Service
[2] https://github.com/osgi/design/tree/master/rfps
[3] https://github.com/ECF/ServiceRegistry