Re: [iot-wg] OSGi EnOcean Driver Reference Implementation

Hello Kai.

For Kura, we are packing org.eclipse.soda.dk.comm as the default implementation for javax.comm.
As you pointed out, our choice on org.eclipse.soda.dk.comm was driven by the fact that RxTx is GPL licensed.

In our tests, we found javax.comm fairly stable but we did encounter few glitches.
 - We experienced a crash of the dkcomm native library when interfacing with 3g modems connected via USB. The crash was random and not easily reproducible.
 - In long running tests, we experienced a memory leak from the native library.
 - Support for non common serial port names (e.g. ttyACM, …) requires a code change in the native library. RxTx has an external properties file.

Both issues were not experienced when using the javax.comm implementation to RxTx.
Unfortunately, we did not go very far in debugging the dkcomm implementation.

The good news is that we found the two implementation to be quite compatible.

That’s what we know so far.

Regards.
-Marco