[iot-pmc] Maintaining non-EPL code inside the repo

Dear PMC colleagues,

I have a question where I would like to seek your assistance:
So far, we include a binary jar in our (Eclipse SmartHome) repo, which has been approved through a CQ and all is fine.
Now we came across a few bugs and missing features that need to be added. Note that the library is NOT maintained anymore by the original author since many years, so contributing the fixes back to the project is not an option.

Our contributor has now chosen to include the modified sources within his PR against Eclipse SmartHome, see https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/1234#discussion-diff-56758953. Is this a valid way forward (note that the sources are NOT under EPL, but MIT expat)? I remember we had a similar discussion on Concierge and accepted the non-EPL sources in the repo there. Or shall we rather setup an external project as I lined out in https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/1234#discussion_r56768544? I cannot yet judge, how frequent modifications might be necessary to this code...

Best regards,
Kai

Back to the top