Re: [iot-pmc] GitHub Issues for Eclipse projects

Hi John,

thanks for sharing your point of view on this matter.

I tend to agree with Kai Kreuzer and, in particular, Jens Reimann regarding his preference for either being able to consistently use GitHub (for code, PRs and issues) or not using GitHub at all. Kai K. has pointed out that Bugzilla is actually the tool contributors (and users and committers) have to learn in addition to GitHub. I could not agree more with him and from practice I can tell that if a user is about to turn into a contributor by providing his first PR I would rather not scare him off by forcing him to create a Bugzilla issue in addition to simply using GitHub’s super easy to use PR/issue system. In the projects that I am working on, linking to other eclipse projects’ issues was not important (so far) and even if it were, we could still link using a full URL instead of just an issue number.

So, I second Jens opinion: if we can use GitHub for hosting a project’s source code and PRs we should also be able to use GitHub issues. This is what I would prefer from a user experience standpoint. Otherwise, if the eclipse foundation thinks that it is more important to only use vendor neutral infrastructure then we should refrain from using GitHub at all, which I would deeply regret since it really makes it easy to get in touch with users and (potential) contributors.

Regards,

Kai Hudalla