Re: [incubation] Question about trademark protection (AsciiDoc)

Hi Dan.

TL;DR: what Kevin said.

If you believe that an Eclipse Foundation trademark is being used inappropriately, send a note to trademarks@xxxxxxxxxxx and our trademark team will sort it out. The usual process is to first ask the "offender" nicely to change their usage, but if we have to pursue legal means, then we'll do that. It is the nature of trademarks that you have to actually enforce them or you lose them.

As a general rule, trademark management is about avoiding confusion. So, others can actually use the trademark, but they have to follow the rules. Using our standard rules, a project called something like "Foo for Asciidoc" would be fine, but "Asciidoc Foo" would not. The former form suggests a separation, but the latter suggests a tight coupling.

In any context, the first and all prominent uses of a trademarked term needs to be marked ™ (for common law trademarks) or ® for registered trademarks). Asciidoc is currently a common law trademark, so the first and all prominent occurrences) of the name should include "tm" (e.g., "Asciidoc™"). Note that we follow the US rules for this.

Any project/product/website that uses the name needs to include a trademark disclaimer (e,g., "Asciidoc is a registered trademark of the Eclipse Foundation").

The Asciidoc™ Working Group can opt to augment the existing trademark usage guidelines with their own. I expect that the working group will initiate a compatibility programme to manage how folks may claim to be "Asciidoc Compatible", for example. We'll work with you in the working group to sort this out. Here's what Jakarta EE Working Group does.

Wayne