Re: [incubation] Contributions via GitHub, how to handle squash commits

Dear Wayne,

Thank you very much for the explanations.

On 26.07.17 23:28, Wayne Beaton wrote:
The tools only work as well as the data provided. The commit that's attributed to you has a different email address than what you've registered for your Eclipse Foundation account. It also appears that Jakub is using a different email address in Git commits than is registered in his account. I've added mappings for these email addresses (that will be included in the queries when the indexer script run tonight).

Thank you for that as well! I didn't know that such a mapping is possible. It probably would make sense to make the ip tooling aware of all GitHub mail addresses having write access to a repository by default, since only committers do have write access anyway.

If you can send me a private email with the list of things that you feel are incorrect in the log, I can address the issues specifically. I don't think that there's any value for the list to see that interaction.

We use GitHub particularly because of its pull request feature, which makes it super easy for people to contribute (assuming they have a github account). The special case of "squash and merge" commits in its current form was introduced by GitHub only a couple of months ago (it seems to be a bit smarter than just doing a rebase and squash, for instance one does not have to re-solve conflicts), and we use it as a standard now.

Since a squash commit actually is a NEW commit, the ip-validation has to be aware of that. IMHO this case is NOT explained anywhere on the Eclipse wiki nor in the handbook. This is why is used this list.

Best regards,
Jens

Back to the top