Re: [incubation] Sub-projects -- theory and practice

Hi Jens.

The term "subproject" has a specific meaning in the Eclipse Development Process. I'm assuming that you mean extra repositories or some de facto notion of components within a project.

Making a fork of third party content is possible, subject (of course) to the terms of the license. The IP Team would have to do full due diligence (Type B) on the contribution.

Maintaining the fork is a different matter. Using Git to synchronise changes from the original repository will be basically impossible since the IP Policy doesn't support pulling in history with an initial contribution, let alone any notion of pulling a chain of update commits for rebasing your branches. I'm not even sure how we could update the IP Policy to deal with the latter case.

Wayne