Re: [incubation] Release process: Staging area and artifact review before final artifacts are released

AFAIK temporary staging repositories are only supported by Nexus Pro, but the foundation runs the open source version of Nexus

From: <incubation-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej.mihalyi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 8. June 2017 at 18:08
To: "incubation@xxxxxxxxxxx" <incubation@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [incubation] Release process: Staging area and artifact review before final artifacts are released

Hi,

Within the MicroProfile project, we are about to do the first release within the Eclipse Foundation. None of the committers has experience from other projects within Eclipse but some of us have experience with the release process within the Apache Foundation.

In particular, we'd like to be able to release final artifacts in 2 stages:

 - "review" stage, where all artifacts are built and published for reviewers together with the source code revision used to build the artifacts

 - "go public" stage, which follows after reviewers accept the artifacts and agree to publish the release

This workflow is supported within the Apache Fnd using the special feature of Nexus, which can create a temporary repository just for a specific group of deployed artifacts, project committers can access this repository via the web interface and have the ability to press a button to accept the artifacts and deploy them to the main repository, removing the temporary staging repository. It really just adds an additional step before artifacts are released to the main repository.

Is anyone using a similar workflow with an Eclipse project? Can Eclipse webmasters investigate if we can use the ability of Nexus to create temporary staging repositories to support this workflow?

Cheers,

Ondrej

Back to the top