Re: [incubation] wrap binaries into a plugin

On 2016-06-24 01:26 PM, Alois Z. wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit bit this raised also some questions how to handle third-party dependencies for non Java/Osgi  based projects.

For example in 4diac FORTE we work with 5 differentn operating systems (the 6th is in the making) and several libraries, for example communication but also IoT device vendor speficif libraries (e.g., I/O access).

How do we need to handle these?

For IoT projects like 4diac abstracting these libraries is a key USP for our users and therfore very important for us.

Alois,

Operating systems are typically treated as "exempt pre-reqs" because they are already installed on the target machine. I/O access libraries have to be treated on a case-by-case basis, and it makes a great deal of difference if you are distributing the library with your code, or simply calling a library that is already installed on the target machine.

See http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/ for the following documents:
http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf
http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/GPL_CE_Policy.php
http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/LGPL_API_Policy.pdf