Re: [ide-dev] Auto-configuring projects when opening editors

Hi

Today, we have no default functionality, so every project does its own thing, or worse doesn't.

Providing an AbstractXXXNature.configure() that exploits an optional "extensions" element provides an easy extensible default for boring projects that are happy with a default. Something is facilitated. Nothing is broken.

Advanced projects such as JDT and CDT are still free to not-implement or re-implement and so do whatever is good for their community. Nothing is imposed. Nothing is inhibited.

(Again today, JDT actually offers nothing. I've been meaning to raise a Bugzilla about the missing "Convert to Java project", which forces me to cut and paste nature/builder lines between .project files.)

    Regards

        Ed Willink

On 12/01/2018 14:18, Daniel Megert wrote:
Using #configure sounds interesting but that lives in the core layer. But to correctly set up e.g. a Java project you need input from the user.

> I believe the diversity of possible actions makes it almost impossible to find a generic solution to this problem that can cover all legacy and future stories.
+1

Dani