Re: [ide-dev] Link from inside Eclipse IDE to how to contribute

It is never worth spamming users.

From: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mickael Istria
Sent: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:20 AM
To: Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Link from inside Eclipse IDE to how to contribute

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anything intrusive like that during startup is a no go for me and considered spam.

That is indeed spam. The underlying question are:

* Is it worth spamming users? (if this brings a good amount of contributions, it can)

* Where is the line between "reminder" and "spam"? Once a month?

* Isn't it fair for an OSS IDE to sometimes remind users about the rules?

> * A menu item in the Help menu
Fine with me.

The Gerrit patch I linked earlier adds that.

Despite I could argue on why spamming can be good and fair, I have the impression that this Contribute item in the same menu as "Eclipse Marketplace" and "Check for Updates" is actually visible enough (people see it a few times a year at least) to "fish" some new contributors, and I'm not convinced any of the other proposals I made -including spamming- would be more efficient to have more users actually reading the page.

Mickael Istria

Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community

Elected Committer Representative at the Eclipse Foundation board of directors