Re: [ide-dev] Auto content assist

On 04/24/2017 04:33 PM, Daniel Megert wrote:
> What if a very valuable processor (returning a 5 minutes of work-worth result) takes 2 seconds

I'm sorry, I don't get your point. How can it take 2 seconds when the work is 5 minutes. LOL
That was indeed not clear, sorry.
The idea was to imagine a content assist processor that takes 2 seconds to compute which operations it can provide at the given location (2 seconds is too long, it currently gets timed-out by JDT and proposals are not shown to user), but for completion actions that are worth 5 minutes of manual work. The net result is that to save 2 seconds, we hide a 5 minutes-worth feature; whereas it might be totally acceptable for the user to wait 2 seconds because the profit is high.
The point I was trying to make is that it's sometimes worth waiting for the IDE and we shouldn't expect everything to be fast in the IDE; we need to embrace slowness rather than excluding it, because slow operations or processing can have results of high value. And in a fluent UI, embracing slowness is mostly about going asynchronous as much as possible.

I hope that explains it a bit better.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top