Re: [ide-dev] -7.5% absolute, -14% relative user loss this year

> 	- Shift + Shift for open resources is so much easier to us compared
> to our shortcut
>
> You mean Ctrl+Shift+R ?

Personally, I don't like Shift+Shift as a shortcut. I find hitting the same key multiple times much less fluent than a key combination.

But as far as the feature behind the shortcut goes, IJ most definitely wins. You get EVERYTHING in one search dialog - file names, java/c++/javascript/... symbols, etc. Very consistently, very quickly and very concisely. IJ users like that A LOT. In fact I would say it's the single most frequently brought up feature when I talk with IJ people.

In Eclipse, I have to decide if I want to search for a file (Ctrl+Shift+R) or a type (Ctrl+Shift+T), and if the latter, I have to make sure that I'm in the right scope - Java scope to get Java classes, C++ scope to get C++ classes, and so on. No scope, no dice... And looking up inner symbols (methods, fields, ...) isn't universally supported at all.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "unqualified" substring matching that IJ does as compared to my personal preference of (very) strict camel-case matching, but apparently IJ users like that a lot as well.

A bit of a tangent here, but this is one of the areas where IJ's much more consolidated language and IDE infrastructure layers can shine with consistency across tools and languages. I think we are getting there with initiatives like the Generic Editor and LSP, but the fact that basically every language still has its own "Open Type" and other "core" functions is a problem when it comes to well-integrated and consistent behavior.

> 	- Alt+Enter is also easier to reach compared with Ctrl+1
>
> That's arguable. Ctrl+1 can be performed with a single hand, Alt+Enter is
> not
> Overall, I don't think the key mapping have that much impact. And several
> Eclipse users moving to IJ have already claimed they prefer the Eclipse
> mapping.

I'm not sure if "Eclipse users moving to IJ" is a very representative sample. Users will usually tend to prefer what they already know and shy away from re-learning.

I also prefer the Eclipse shortcuts (see above). But case in point, I also used to remap all my Eclipse keybindings to Emacs shortcuts for years after initially moving to Eclipse, because those were "so much better"...

Back to the top