Re: [ide-dev] An EclipseIDE social media account?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Tyler Jewell <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Historical point - it was on the request of other projects and the Foundation that the Che project changed its tagline.

It was previoulsy "Next-Generation Eclipse IDE", and to avoid confusion with what the classic project deemed as their product name "Eclipse IDE" we changed it to "Eclipse Next-Generation IDE", which are all true items.  It's Eclipse branding.  It's an IDE.  And it's next-generation.  This change was made because of requests from the Eclipse IDE and foundation and we made it.

On the branding issues for the foundation and nomenclature - this is a decision that will have to be made by the foundation.  But branding always comes down to uniqueness and then "repeat, repeat, repeat".  It's about the conviction all of your stakeholders have on the phrasing.

Personally, ​I think that having it as Eclipse Next-Generation ​IDE gives the impression that there's an Old-Generation, which became outdated (when in fact it's a completely different IDE, not a new generation of the Eclipse IDE) -- it could be marketed as Eclipse Che: Next-Generation IDE without giving the impression that it's making the Eclipse IDE obsolete.

Cheers,

Fabio

Back to the top