Re: [ide-dev] An EclipseIDE social media account?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2017-02-01 9:15 AM, Mickael Istria wrote:
On 2017-02-01 9:05 AM, Lars Vogel wrote:
+1 for a focused Eclipse foundation account for the Eclipse IDE.
With apologies, I have to ask: which Eclipse IDE are you referring to? JDT, CDT, PDT, Orion, Che,...?
Don't know for others, but I'm referring to the historical Eclipse IDE (not Che nor Orion which have some good branding and separate account on Twitter).
The Eclipse IDE is by design polyglot, so it could include news about Java, C/C++, PHP... development IMHO. Going to a finer grain would require more effort, would spread potential followers across too many channels, and would miss to highlight a key value of Eclipse IDE which is an IDE for everything.

But then surely you must see that calling the Twitter handle "@EclipseIDE" is at least confusing --- and probably impolite --- for the other IDE platforms also hosted by the Eclipse Foundation.

Naming is hard....

​I don't agree with the sentiment that @EclipseIDE is confusing or impolite.

Other IDEs under the Eclipse foundation have different marketed names (Eclipse Che, Eclipse Orion...) and for all practical purposes, Eclipse has always been referred as the name of the Eclipse IDE (I see some effort trying to change from the foundation to remarket this, but for all practical purposes, every user out there will still search for Eclipse IDE or only Eclipse when trying to find something related to it) -- on the contrary, I find it a bit more impolite the fact that Eclipse Che is marketed as "Eclipse Next-Generation IDE" just because it's being developed under the same umbrella (not that I have anything against the project, but given the fact that Eclipse has always been referred to the the Eclipse IDE, it gives the feeling that the Eclipse IDE is outdated, when in fact it's not).

Regarding what it means, I'd expect it to have news about improvements on the Eclipse Platform (platform.ui, platform.text, e4, swt, etc) and any plugin in the Eclipse IDE ecosystem (JDT, CDT, and even the marketplace), but not from Orion nor Che (which should probably have @EclipseOrion and @EclipseChe as they have a different set of users).

Best Regards,

Fabio

Back to the top