Re: [ide-dev] Interest in conference calls?

From: <ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 14, 2016 at 12:21 PM
To: "ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Interest in conference calls?

On 11/14/2016 04:42 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
One of the first things I want to get a feel for is people thoughts about the architecture behind Visual Studio Code and whether using Electron for a next generation desktop Eclipse IDE makes sense and what such a beast would look like.
Unless political issue, I don't really imagine an organization contributing to re-implement an IDE mimicking all of VSCode with the same architecture as VSCode. Someone needing it would be more pragmatic and productive to contribute to VSCode directly... I also don't imagine one of the current "big" contributing organizations following the track of such another desktop Electron IDE, when they are already strategically involved in Eclipse IDE, Ecipse Orion, Eclipse Che and/or VSCode...

Yes, this is be somewhat of a political issue. Certain contributing organizations have chosen a certain direction. Not everyone of such “big” organizations are going to follow.

And it depends on how open VS.Code is. If I want to add a form-based editor or an advanced visualization of some file, would I be allowed to add that. Things like that actually seem to be counter to the objectives of VS.Code as a simple code editor so I’m guessing no at this point. And we in the embedded systems world and the modelling world really need such things. VS.Code tries not to claim to be an IDE, but we need more than what they’re offering.

BTW, conversation really picking up on this on Mattermost already. Good to see!

Doug.

(Note that those are personal feelings, nothing related to my employer)

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top