Re: [ide-dev] [ui-best-practices-working-group] Working sets (WAS: Re: Java IDEs comparison)

From: <ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, September 30, 2016 at 12:45 PM
To: "ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] [ui-best-practices-working-group] Working sets (WAS: Re: Java IDEs comparison)

On 09/30/2016 04:31 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
I think the biggest issue with a multi-language perspective is how to do a multi-language “Open Type”. It’s really the only thing I run into when trying to do Java in the C++ perspective or C++ in the Java perspective.
Any thoughts on that? Is this something we can even fix?
In VSCode, they have an abstract "Open Symbols" which serves that purpose for all languages. It does a bit more as it also contains methods and so on...
If we can have JDT and CDT ok to use it by Oxygen, I believe we can try to add this to Platform UI.
In Eclipse IDE, I find myself using more and more the Open Resource dialog, even to serve the purpose of Open Type. It's not as good as there is no 1-1 mapping between resource and type, but in most case, I'm happy with it.

If it’s easy to integrate with, I don’t see an issue of doing this for CDT.

BTW, +1 on Open Resources. Use it quite often, especially in C++ land since there often isn’t a 1-1 relationship of type with file. But that also make Open Type more important when looking for things. And CDT does do methods and functions amongst a few other things.

Should really start putting together a roadmap so we don’t lose track of all these things. Maybe we can start that in Ludwigsburg.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top