Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

That was an example that adds to the earlier examples. Switching branches on large projects is also not a good idea and usually requires a complete rebuild. We do see multiple workspaces used in C++ land for that reason.

Anyway, make sure your removing more haters than you’re creating. And make sure you have some degree of consensus on the direction. At least a plurality of opinion. And if you do do it, make sure you set it in a preference so we can override it in our commercial products. Different communities have different levels of hate for this.

Doug

From: <ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, September 23, 2016 at 11:13 AM
To: "ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

On 09/23/2016 05:05 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
I’m with the gang that uses multiple workspaces to work on different branches of a repo, as I do with CDT master and CDT the last release in maintenance. I can’t have them in the same workspace and switch between them since they do have different target files and switching those is usually a nightmare.
Keep in mind that .target file is something the vast majority of developers (99%) don't know nor care about. When discussing about the IDE, we should focus on other mainstream personas: Java Enterprise dev (JEE or Spring), C/C++ dev, JS developer, Android developer... The PDE developer persona should not be our main target when we take such decision.
However, as preferences are package specific, we could imagine different behaviors for the different packages/targets.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top