Re: [ide-dev] A Java Profiler at Eclipse

At the end of the day, whether we get a profiler or not depends on someone doing the work, or a group of people in this case since it is a lot of work. That’s what the Eclipse meritocracy is all about. Opinions on whether it’s a good idea or not are welcome but not binding.

From: <ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mikaël Barbero <mikael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 6:05 AM
To: Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] A Java Profiler at Eclipse

I will disagree with you :) IMHO, it would be worth the effort because an IDE should include profiling tools out of the box, like it provides debugging or testing facilities. MAT is an excellent tool, but it focuses only on memory. You proposal to use tools outside of Eclipse is the opposite of what the I of IDE stands for.

Netbeans is AFAIK, the only java IDE that includes a Java profiler out of the box, it could be a real advantage for Eclipse to be in this category too.

Cheers,
Mikael