Re: [ide-dev] [ui-best-practices-working-group] Blog Comments

Switching non-guidelines related discussion to ide-dev.

On 2016-09-19, 10:50 AM,
"ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Lars
Vogel" <ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  At this point, the issues users are facing have much more to do with
>>the language plug-ins than they do
>> with the Platform.
>
>I completely agree but IMHO the platform work is still very important.
>The way I see it, if we in platform (and I tend to think of platform
>as the "Eclipse top-level project including JDT and PDE) do a good
>job, we make it easier for the others to make a good job.

That¹s true to a certain extent. But platform fixes don¹t get you Gradle
support in Andmore, for example :). Or does/should it? Very similar to the
XML editor discussion happening now on eclipse-dev.

In the past, there has seemed to be an artificial barrier that IDE things
shouldn¹t end up in the Platform, only things that the IDE shares with
RCP. But then the Resources and Debug plug-ins are platform which teaches
us that that wasn¹t always true.

In fact, people point at e4 being the end. I can make a plausible argument
that RCP was really the end ;).

Doug.