As for the reason for the drop off I'd point to the decision of Apple to go with Android Studio as being the turning point, followed by the current unrelenting marketing campaign from JetBrains...

<Sigh>,
Eric

Inactive hide details for "Andrey Loskutov" ---09/14/2016 11:18:32 AM---I agree with Bruno and mostly with original post author"Andrey Loskutov" ---09/14/2016 11:18:32 AM---I agree with Bruno and mostly with original post author except the conclusions. IMHO *the* main issu

From: "Andrey Loskutov" <loskutov@xxxxxx>
To: ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Discussions about the IDE" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/14/2016 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison
Sent by: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Bruno and mostly with original post author except the conclusions.

IMHO *the* main issue was that IBM took almost all contributors from Eclipse because of their "Cloud" strategy change (Jazz, Orion etc). That move caused and explains most of other problems.

1) e4 code quality was/is abysmal (no reviews? and a high pressure to deliver something?). I can't believe it could happen if we would still have all the old IBM people on board.
2) p2 is complex, true, but it works ways better then e4. What it lacks is the good documentation and man power to maintain it / drive it forward. We have one active committer left on p2 AFAIK.
3) No product. After IBM left development to the community, we simply had no resources anymore to set common "product quality" goals and priorities for the development, and to ensure overall quality. Performance tests? Switched off because lack of resources. UI guidelines? Not updated due lack of resources, etc...
4) UI is ugly. Absolutely agree. With each release till 4.x Eclipse UI was prettier. Now to get it kind of "OK" one has to disable themes.

I wish we would get IBM man power back, and hope some other big player could invest more, but this is obviously not realistic. Everyone does "cloud" or "apps" today, desktop is not interesting anymore. I don't have a solution for that except that everyone who cares starts to contribute.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

http://google.com/+AndreyLoskutov