Re: [ide-dev] Java IDEs comparison

For the last 3 years I have mostly  been using PyCharm and
Webstorm for web development.

Here are the things I think Jetbrais is doing significantly
better than eclipse:

Configuration/Update
--------------------

I am still using Mars, because I have a set of plugins and from
experience, setting up a new version of eclipse is a major pain. In
particular, if I want to keep all the plugins that I am currently
using. In the last 15 years or so, I have spent quite few man-months
messing with installing and finding eclipse plugins and
configurations.

With JetBrains products upgrading to a new version has been seamless
so far.

Finding extension wit Jetbrains is easy: there just one place to
search for them. Installing plugins is like clicking a checkbox on a
list. I have not had any problems installing or updating plugins with
Jetbrains IDEs.

And for some reasons I have much less desire to install plugins
because the products come with "batteries included" and unlike
eclipse there are not many competing solutions to choose from
for a particular requirement. Just try to figure out what to
install to get world class javascript/html support in eclipse.

Views and Perspectives
----------------------

In my eclipse installation I can choose between 150+ Views and 18
Perspectives. Installing new features add new perspectives and
views. And it become **very** difficult to figure out which view and
menu entry belongs to which feature.

My Webstorm has about 10 views and that's all I need. I don't even know
where to find/add new views.

Multi Language support

In jetbrains, there is (or at least it feels like) one edtor that can
handle different languages and navigation between different languages
is so natural that you don't realize it.

Exclusion of files and folders

In Jetbrains IDEs it is very easy to exclude folders form being parsed.

Michael