Re: [ide-dev] Respinning Mars.2 with GTK2 by default

Guys,

Note that the Eclipse Installer could help achieve the goal more selectively, without respinning any packages.   I.e., we could add a so-called Eclipse Ini task to the Eclipse.org product catalog to set this property into the eclipse.ini.  Moreover, we could do it selectively by specifying a filter (in the same style as is used by p2) for this task task, and further restricting the task to be a boot-strap only task so that the user could edit their eclipse.ini and change it without Oomph setting it back.

I tested using (&(os.ws=gtk)(desktop.session=ubuntu)) to add "--launcher.GTK_version 2".  The intent being to add enable this task to add the option to the eclipse.ini only if we're installing on an OS whose window system is GTK and that has an environment or system property set to this value.  At least for my Ubuntu 15.10 installation there is an environment variable DESKTOP_SESSION=ubuntu that serves this purpose.  Certainly Eclipse is less buggy for me when I use GTK 2.

We'd need to reach some kind of consensus that this is a good idea.

Regards
Ed